Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Irreverent

I have been thinking a lot about the word "irreverent" lately. I honestly looked it up to see it's true meaning.

ir·rev·er·ent (ĭ-rěv'ər-ənt)
adj.
  1. Lacking or exhibiting a lack of reverence; disrespectful.


I found it interesting that "disrespectful" is also involved with this word. Many times I have been told that what I am doing or saying is irreverent. Whether it be talking in church too loudly or saying something inappropriate I understood it was wrong and that I shouldn't do things like that because they are disrespectful.

More recently I catch a lot of grief over my appearance. Yes I have strange looking hair and holes in my ears. In no way do I think God loves me less because of this rather I say to you it has been a blessing to my life. Many people especially younger people and students are more comfortable around me because I don't fit the prim and proper stereotype of church people.

Some may say I am irreverent to look like such a "mess" in church. To be honest I take that statement as "you need to put on your church mask and act like you have it all together." And folks I'm sorry but I really DON"T have it all together so why should I pretend to. IT IS IRREVERENT TO PRETEND LIKE WE HAVE IT ALL TOGETHER WHEN WE DON'T. From my understanding of the scriptures we are to lay everything before God and let him take care of it according to his will. It doesn't stop there though!

So many times we forget our calling as believers to do what God has told us to do. How IRREVERENT are we when we only do the work of God when it is convenient to us and we can squeeze it in to our schedule? That is disrespect in the highest manner.

In closing I hope you don't read this as just another blog from another church-blogging guy rather I hope you take it to heart and reflect on your own life.

How IRREVERENT to God am I?

Drew



1 comment:

  1. Excellently put Drew. Completely right on.
    I sometimes like to think about what Jesus would look like if He was walking the earth right now...would He be emo...or have colored mohawks and piercings...t-shirts, jeans...business suits...or would He be like the conservative Jews and have long ringlets on the sides of His hair. It's a very interesting concept to me. How many people in the church would declare Jesus IRREVERENT????

    And your completely right...all that matters is that we do what God is telling us to do, when He is telling us to do it. Period.

    ReplyDelete